University of Minnesota
Department of German, Scandinavian & Dutch
myU OneStop

Department of German, Scandinavian & Dutch's home page.

Advising FAQ

Declaring a major, scholarships, graduate school and more

How do I declare a major or minor?

Make an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies. The paperwork is not complicated and is usually completed within a few minutes. Please bring an unofficial transcript with you to your meeting.

You are welcome to talk to the DUS whenever you have questions or concerns about your major or minor.

I already have another major. What would be the advantage of double majoring?

Double majoring has become a national trend. Over half of our majors have a second (or even a third) major. With good planning it's possible to do this in just four years (sample schedule (Word)). Students choose a double major because it offers a competitive advantage in the job market and in applications to graduate and professional schools.

I am a major in another college at the U. Can I get a GSD major or minor without fulfilling the requirements for a B.A. degree?

Yes. A notation will be put on your transcript that you have completed the requirements for the major or minor although you will not graduate from CLA. When you take your major or minor program form to 49 Johnston, they will have you fill out the Application for Major/Minor in a Second College form; you should also notify your home college office of your intent to complete a major or minor in a second college. When you are ready to graduate, a CLA advisor will review your program form. If you have fulfilled all the requirements, that information will be posted to your record. It is a good idea to check your transcript after you have graduated to make sure that the major or minor has been posted.

How do I find out about scholarship deadlines?

The deadline for the department's scholarships is usually in March or April. That information, along with application forms, is posted on the our “Undergraduate Scholarships & Awards“ page a month or so before the deadline. You can also contact the department office to find out about deadlines and application procedures (625-2080;

I'm thinking of going to graduate school. What should I do to prepare?

The transition from an undergraduate major to graduate school can be difficult if you are not properly prepared. Most graduate programs in German or Scandinavian studies expect high-level language competence and familiarity with current literary and critical theory. Courses emphasizing these skills must be included among your electives if you are considering graduate study. The Director of Undergraduate Studies welcomes the opportunity to speak with you if you are considering graduate school. You can schedule an appointment through our online form.

What can I do with a German Studies or Scandinavian & Finnish major?

In addition to the more obvious options (such as teaching or graduate school), there are careers in government, the military and non-governmental agencies. Since so many of our majors have one or two other majors, they plan to use their foreign language major to further careers in such fields as international law, international business, forestry management, genetics, and international theater. See our Student Profiles for some real-life examples or read some quotes from alumni and professionals.

For more information, contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies. The following web addresses also provide career information for foreign language majors:

Bookstore - librería image courtesy Flickr user MorBCN