University of Minnesota
Department of German, Scandinavian & Dutch
myU OneStop

Department of German, Scandinavian & Dutch's home page.

Learn & Work Abroad

We strongly recommend study abroad for a significant period of time (at least six months) for students seeking to develop cultural familiarity and language fluency. Many students who have studied abroad say it really should be required! Living overseas changes their lives in positive ways: they experience the culture firsthand, their language skills soar, and they begin to see the world differently.

The Learning Abroad Center (230 Heller Hall), is the University's comprehensive resource for study, work, intern, volunteer, and travel experiences worldwide. Their advisors can help you select a program, apply for financial aid, register for courses, and prepare for departure. Peer advisers are available to help you plan your stay abroad. The center also has an extensive library of travel guides. The center’s staff can help you obtain rail passes, passport photos and international student ID cards. For information specifically on learning abroad for GSD majors and minors see the Major Advising Page.

After you have filled out your academic planning form with your Learning Abroad advisor, you should schedule an appointment with GSD's director of undergraduate studies to discuss your academic plans and to have your form signed. In designing your study abroad program, remember to pay special attention to the requirements for transferring academic credit. Students are able to earn and transfer credits most smoothly with programs sponsored by or affiliated with the University of Minnesota. Also check our Scholarships & Awards page which includes departmental study-abroad scholarships.


Bookstore - librería image courtesy Flickr user MorBCN